Whether the job is large or small, this is one of the important decisions for
the construction of your project. ca-sa
- Seek advice: from your architect or a professional body (e.g. RIBA, RICS) on the different contract routes.
- Check trade associations or specialists registers: Federation of Master
Builders (FMB), National House-Building Council (NHBC), Association for
Environment Conscious Building (AECB).
- Give yourself time, don't rush it.
- Structure your search: write down your requirements, get several
itemised quotes (in writing), get references and follow up.
- Check experience: visit previous work by contractor, speak to past
clients on quality and timeliness of work.
- Find out who will be in charge of the work and meet them.
- Choose holistically - cheapest is not always best.
- Use a written contract (e.g. JCT) and agree a completion date.
if you need help or see links for