If you are intending any kind of sizable development (from home extension to large refurbishment or new building) you will need to obtain planning permission from your Local Authority. To do this you need to:
- Contact the local planning authority relevant to the development .
- Confirm planning application is needed and obtain the relevant forms.
- Agree with planning officer whether drawings are needed, what type, level of detail, the type of design statement.
- Conservation areas and listed buildings will require special submissions
- Larger projects may need an environmental impact assessment (EIA) and a sustainability statement.
- Decide who is going to do design the scheme (e.g. your architect).
- Get your architect and other consultants to design the development to your brief.
- Submit the drawings, supporting information application form and fee.
You can use the Planning Portal to submit your application on-line