In 2000, renewables supplied only 1.3% of UK's electricity.
Government target to generate 10% of electricity from renewables by 2010 Benefits of using renewable energy:
- No CO2 emissions on operation or Carbon Neutral (wood).
- Building integrated technologies provide energy at point of demand.
- When combined with energy efficiency, it can lead to self sufficiency.
- Exempt from Climate Change Levy (CCL).
- Capital grants currently available.
What needs to be considered:
- Choice of technique: what is the most appropriate to location, supply demand profile? how much CO2 is displaced?
- Economics of particular case.
- Setting up favourable agreement to export the grid when excess is produced or design storage system.