sus.tain / keep (sb/sth) alive or in existence. sus.tain.able / able to be maintained at a fixed level without exhausting natural resources or damaging the environment.
- There is only one Earth but,
- if the World used resources at the current rate of UK consumption, we would need three to cover everybody's needs.
- Atmospheric emissions due to human activities are changing the Earth's balance.
- Ecological impacts must be considered.
- We need to accept responsibility for polluting the environment.